Technical Services Manager - New York, NY
At Cushman & Wakefield, we employ the most talented professionals and invest in superior
resources and technologies to provide our clients with innovative advice and bottom line
The talent of our extraordinary people and the culture and business approach we foster, coupled
with the exceptional, creative services we provide and the results we deliver worldwide for
owners, occupiers, and investors are what really distinguishes Cushman & Wakefield from all
other real estate service firms.
Cushman & Wakefield is currently seeking qualified candidates for the following
Technical Services Manager – New York,
Purpose of the Job
The Technical Services Manager is accountable for overseeing all vendor-provided
engineering services for critical systems supporting technology space. The Technical Services
Manager also provides support and oversight for all site drawings, plans, and related projects
and helps to ensure the property/facility is maintained in accordance with client standards and
requirements, and customer satisfaction. Finally, this position may directly and indirectly
supervise individuals, building staff, operations, and coordinate the various functions.
This position is dedicated to continuous improvement in order to meet the enterprise goal of
100% Uptime to the critical load.
- Acts as the primary point of contact for clients in regard to all engineering activities,
issues, concerns with critical systems infrastructure supporting technology space.
- Monitors critical systems in relation to performance, capacity and utilization. Reports and
reviews findings with management on a regular basis.
- Coordinates all activities involving critical systems supporting technology space (power,
HVAC, physical space and cabling) with clients and other support groups.
- Manages work in accordance with the client’s change management program.
- May also handle tenant requests for special work. Obtain estimate, provide proposal, order
work, and invoice tenant for such work.
- Maintain work order system. Enter, print and distribute Service Requests, follow-up with
staff or vendor to ensure completion, invoice billable work.
- Ensures all activities undertaken by the vendors meet or exceed all contracted service
levels and client expectations. Reviews, reconciles and approves the invoices submitted by the
- Continuously reviews the contracted vendors’ performance with respect to costs and
quality. Reports and reviews performance results with management on a regular basis. Based on
client satisfaction survey results, works with vendors to improve specific areas of concern to
- Works with vendors and building management to evaluate new products/processes to improve
quality of services and cost effectiveness. Analyzes utility consumption and works with our
vendors to identify possible actions to conserve energy.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets, monthly billings and invoicing for services and work
orders, reporting, and annual operating expense reconciliations.
- May oversee tenant improvement work and alterations to building tenant spaces; may
coordinate access to building for contractors; and with property management, conduct final
walk-through and punch list on new construction and alterations. Follow up on completion of
punch list items.
- Ensures inventory of parts and supplies is adequate.
- Proactively inspects the site to identify issues or potential issues that need to be
- Communicates with critical system vendors and identifies outstanding OEM notices specific
to client’s equipment.
- Conducts ongoing Risk Assessments and maintains Risk database.
- Supports C&W’s commitment to energy conservation and reducing our carbon
footprint through ongoing evaluation of new technology and procedures including those
activities associated with LEED certification.
- Manages and maintains all site drawings, plans, and related projects.
- Single point of contact for annual site specific maintenance events, including MM, SM and
- Manages annual maintenance calendar and preparation of 10 year maintenance plan for all
critical systems equipment.
- Escalate all issues to management.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Include, but are not limited to:
- Occasional direct supervision of:
- Vendors, other C&W/ABM site staffing (as required).
- Helping plan, assign and direct the work efforts of an assigned project team.
Competencies: Should include:
- Intellectual: abilities to: generate creative solutions; aggressively
identify and solve problems in a timely manner; determine requirements from the unknowns
surrounding engineering operations and engineering support requirements in the region.
- Interpersonal: abilities to: effectively communicate up, down and across
the organization both orally and in writing; respond quickly to client needs; manage difficult
client requirements; build a spirit of teamwork within assigned engineering team continuously
seek feedback so as to improve responsiveness; treat people with respect.
- Organization: abilities to: clearly understand business implications of
engineering equipment and system decisions; actively participate in engineering operational and
maintenance reviews/decisions; quickly develop a deep knowledge of the organizational structure
in the enterprise; adhere to policies and procedures; strongly support organizational
- Leadership/judgment: abilities to: promote teamwork; develop
comprehensive and well thought out plans; facilitate process improvement; set and achieve
challenging goals; accept responsibility for actions; follow instructions and respond
positively to management decisions; asks for help when situations warrant.
- Undergraduate degree in an engineering or technical area preferred.
- Ten or more years of experience in a technical management role relating to critical
- A minimum of 5 years of extensive experience in managing building infrastructure
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in central building plant architectures and an intimate
knowledge of reliability engineering techniques used in contemporary data center
- Experience as a Chief Engineer preferred.
- Experience in managing a technically oriented team.
- Experience in utility management and energy conservation.
- Advanced knowledge of Uninterruptible Power Systems (UPS), Static Transfer Switches (STS),
Power Distribution Units (PDU), Remote Power Panels (RPP) and critical power distribution.
- Advanced knowledge of critical environment HVAC.
- Proven ability to work with EPMS and interpret the system data.
- Ability to understand and interpret various design and construction documents relating to
critical sites, spaces and systems.
- Ability to create technical specifications relating to building systems and
- Ability to successfully present technical information to higher management.
- A solid grasp of mathematics, the principles of physics and chemistry as they relate to
facilities management and engineering operations.
- Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatic
- Ability to deal with various abstract and concrete variables simultaneously.
- Good technical knowledge in electrical systems, electrical generation/distribution, HVAC
(specific to the environment), IT systems and environments, environmental regulations, local
building codes, fire and safety systems, preventive and predictive maintenance and diagnostic
equipment, etc. is preferred.
- Working knowledge and experience in financial accounting in commercial real estate,
financial reporting and budgeting necessary.
- Must be able to work independently and collaboratively with vendors, engineers,
electricians, and other skilled trades.
- Hands-on familiarity with tenant improvement construction projects is desired; ability to
plan, organize and coordinate multiple projects, ability to read and understand construction
specifications and blueprints.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to make effective presentations and
negotiate through opposing views.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Flexibility in moving from detailed day-to-day operational levels to high-level strategic
- Must be able to create and interpret the application of relevant policies, procedures,
SOP’s, regulations, codes, and standards.
- May be required to be available 24/7, as operational and emergency needs dictate, to
support critical operations and events.
- Familiar with Life cycle analysis and sustainability programs related to critical system
- Should have a sound understanding of and ability in office management software as well as a
working knowledge of construction project management and internet software.
If you have the skills necessary to thrive in a fast paced environment, we offer a
competitive salary, excellent benefits package and a genuine career opportunity.
To be considered for this position, please apply via:
No Phone Calls/Agencies Please
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
||New York City
||13 Jun 2013
To apply, either send your resume to email@example.com
or press submit resume button to apply online.