Hotel accommodation in Poland for EURO 2012
24 May, 2010, Warsaw
Poland will fulfill UEFA criteria regarding hotel accommodation for EURO 2012 according to the report by Cushman & Wakefield, a global real estate advisory firm.
The Polish cities which will be hosting the European Football Championship in 2012 currently provide about 38,870 beds in hotels (ca. 20,170 rooms). Warsaw, where the opening match, quarter-final and semi-final will be held, accounts for more than half of the total number of hotel beds.
“Tourists which will use the Polish hotel accommodation during EURO 2012 can be divided into three groups: so called UEFA family, football teams and fans. Taking into consideration current hotel accommodation in Poland and investments projects, which are to be ready before the commencement of the tournament, it can be assumed that Poland will meet the criteria of Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) regarding the lodging for organizers, activists and VIPs i.e. for so called Family” said Dorota Malinowska, hospitality consultant of Cushman & Wakefield.
UEFA has mitigated the criteria of selection for Polish hotels which will accommodate the UEFA family, including also three-stars facilities in the required group of five- and four-stars hotels. Additional condition is the high quality of provided services. It has also extended the maximum time for getting from the hotel to the stadium by bus up to two hours for guests (instead of one hour).
“There should not be any problems with accommodating football teams. Out of 16 accommodation centres, which were most highly rated by Spółka PL.2012 (the tournament coordinator in Poland), 12 already have the hotel facilities that fit the UEFA standards” – added Dorota Malinowska of Cushman & Wakefield.
Footballers will be accommodated in four- or five-star hotels. The facilities’ location must enable them to travel from the hotel to the nearest airport within maximum time of one hour. Sports facilities, i.e. minimum two training pitches of 105 x 68 m naturally lit, must be located within not more than 20 minutes drive from the hotel.
The supply of hotel beds is not likely to meet the demand from all football fans. However, it does not mean that there will not be any possibilities to accommodate this group of visitors. They will be offered with a variety of lodging options such as apartments, private accommodation, motels, pensions or resorts.
Hotel accommodation in EURO 2012 host cities
as of January 2010:
The analysis of the hotel accommodation in Polish host cities organising EURO 2012 has been prepared by Cushman & Wakefield, a global real estate advisory firm. It has covered categorized hotels of all standards. The evaluation has also included hotel facilities and projects located outside the host cities (within 30 km from the city centre for fans, 2 hours drive from the stadium for UEFA family and 1 hour drive from the airport for football teams), taking into consideration UEFA requirements regarding hotel standards as well as the assumption that each hotel hosting UEFA family must ensure the availability of 65% of beds. The remaining 35% will be offered to football fans. The report was prepared in January 2010 and is based on the company’s own sources as well as information obtained from Spółka PL.2012.
For further information, please contact:
+48 22 820 2016